Cameroon’s 2022 road maintenance budget set at XAF41.479 billion

Cameroon’s 2022 road maintenance budget has been set to XAF41.479 billion, according to the Ministry of Public Works (Mintp). This budget will be used to maintain 5,496.36 km of national and regional roads, we learn.  

According to the ministry, the budget includes XAF1.659 billion not committed in 2021. For Mintp, the road maintenance budget is significantly lower than the needs estimated at some XAF800 billion. 

This means that only 5.1% of the needed envelope is available to maintain 13.81% of the 23,424.85 kilometers of Cameornn’s national and regional roads this year. As the result, sections that did not go through maintenance will continue to wear out. 

Those figures demonstrate the age-long issue of financing road maintenance in Cameroon. The issue was once again raised by Minister of Public Works Emmanuel Nganou Djoumessi while defending Mintp’s 2022 budget before the parliament on December 1, 2021.   

"The linear road network has increased by 121%, from 55,000 km in 2010 to 121,873.93 km in 2021. However, the maintenance resources did not grow accordingly,” he said. As a result, only 48.86% ( 121,873.93 kilometers) of the country’s road network is in a good or average condition while the remaining 51.14% is in a dilapidated state, he added.  

To address the situation, the government intends to not only concede the road maintenance but also implement a new strategy aimed at ensuring the sustainability of dirt roads that constitute well over 93% of the national road network, he explained. 

The new strategy was developed because the Ministry of Public Works noticed that the maintenance solutions implemented so far have limitations. On June 1-3, 2021, a workshop was organized in Yaoundé to discuss the new strategy, we learn.

Business In Cameroon

concord Desk

Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cameroon Concord is a leading international online publication that covers Cameroon news, Africa with particularly interest in the Sub Saharan region. We report about world politics, business, science and technology, sports including arts and culture

Chat with us

Share your news with us. If you have a local story or image you would like to share with Cameroon Concord, use our live chat here to connect with us. Alternatively, you can connect with us through our email and WhatsApp accounts.
Please note that we check, edit / moderate all stories we receive prior to publication.
Additionally, you should have rights / permissions to anything you share with Cameroon Concord.

We use cookies to improve our website. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. For more information visit our Cookie policy. I accept cookies from this site. Agree