At least 56 people died after drinking beer at a funeral that was poisoned with crocodile bile. The beer was locally brewed in Mozambique in south-east Africa and is believed to have been poisoned with crocodile bile during the funeral. Another 49 victims have been admitted to hospital and 146 others have visited the hospital with poisoning symptoms. The death toll could still climb as health authorities have admitted they do not have the resources to deal with the situation. The victims are believed to have attended a funeral on Saturday, where they drank the locally brewed beer Pombe.
A police investigation discovered that the beer was most likely poisoned during the funeral as those who drank it on the morning of the ceremony reported no signs of illness, whereas those drinking it in the afternoon got sick, according to authorities. The woman who was in charge of brewing the beer also died from poisoning. Investigation into the incident is ongoing and health officials are helping the affected families by collecting donations of food and other items.
Reported by Independent.ie