Boko Haram attacks command post of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) in Nigeria occupied by Cameroonian soldiers

A command post of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) located at Damboré (Nigeria) occupied by Cameroonian soldiers, was attacked in the night yesterday Thursday, 21 July 2016 by members of Boko Haram. Last Sunday, Boko Haram had attacked (MNJTF)comand post in Kamouna (Cameroon), wounding a soldier and carrying away some arms and ammunition.

Nigeria and its neighbors pledged last year to come together to defeat Boko Haram, but experts say regional cooperation appears to be happening in fits and starts.

Collaboration across borders has long been seen as key to ending the Boko Haram insurgency, which started in Nigeria but has since spread through the country’s porous borders into neighboring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

Nigerian and Cameroonian military officials say the Multinational Joint Task Force composed of troops from Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Benin is actively fighting Boko Haram and achieving some success.

Boko Haram, however, still carries out attacks in Nigeria and its neighbors, leading some experts to question whether regional cooperation is as deep as it should be.

In recent months, Nigeria’s military has announced joint patrols with Cameroon and operations backed by Chadian jets.

Nigerian military spokesman Rabe Abubakar said intelligence from U.S. drones based in Cameroon has been passed on to Nigeria, thanks to the task force.

“For the past three or four weeks we have been doing … operations in concert with other nations within the Lake Chad basin countries,” Abubakar said.

Cameroon military spokesman Didier Badjeck says the troops involved in the force mostly stay within their own borders but conduct joint operations and can cross into other countries to pursue the group.

“If everybody is playing his role in the zone, Boko Haram will finish,” Badjeck said.

Group remains potent

In June, the militants killed 26 soldiers, sacked a town and forced 50,000 people to flee in a series of attacks in Niger, not far from the Nigerian border.

And contrary to the assertions of Nigeria’s government, the group still controls territory in northeast Nigeria. A senior military official told VOA on condition of anonymity that the Mobbar and Abadam local governments, on the border with Niger, are still under Boko Haram control.

The group’s fight to impose strict Islamic law in northern Nigeria has killed more than 20,000 people and forced 2.7 million to flee.

John Campbell, a fellow at the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations and a former American ambassador to Nigeria, said Boko Haram would not be as strong if the multinational task force was collaborating as intended.

“It would be transformative if it led to the destruction of Boko Haram,” Campbell said. “And it has not.”

 

Share your views on this article
Concord Essen

Website: www.cameroon-concord.com Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cameroon Concord  is an online publication covering and reporting on  local and world news, sports, entertainment, politics, business, and religious news. Serving Cameroonians .

Newsletter

 

Get the latest news and information delivered directly to your inbox by subscribing to our news alerts.

ADVERTISE

X

Right Click

No right click

We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…