Cameroon: Over 109 Houses Set On Fire By Boko Haram In Overnight Attacks

Boko Haram terrorists continued with their reign of terror in Cameroon at the weekend, burning at least 109 houses in the country’s far north, and sending another message to the world that they were far from being defeated.

The houses were set on fire in the night of 16 September and 17 September 2017 in the villages of hidoua and bavagola, reported Cameroonian newspaper, L’Oeil du Sahel.
Both villages are located in Cameroon’s far north where Amnesty International said on September 5 that 158 people had been killed in that region between April of this year and now.

And that was before the latest attacks.




On Sunday morning, two suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers blew themselves up in Cameroon, killing at least three persons.

The two bombers, who also died in the process, left three other persons injured, L’Oeil du Sahel said.

The latest incident took place in the town of Kossa in Cameroon’s far north where attacks have escaslated in recent months.

It also came two days after a soldier and two civilians were killed on 15 September by a landmine planted by Boko Haram between Abdouri and Woulba, also in Cameroon’s far north.

Two days earlier, on 13 September, a girl strapped with bombs blew herself up at Sanda-Wadjiri mosque, killing herself and five worshippers.

On September 5, Amnesty International announced in its report that the Islamist militant group Boko Haram has killed 381 civilians in Nigeria and Cameroon since April of this year.

And even though the Nigerian army and government have repeatedly claimed that Boko Haram had been defeated and its foot soldiers were on the run, the terrorists have carried out a string of lethal suicide bombings and high-profile attacks in the past few months alone.

Amnesty said the number of those killed since April 1 was more than double the number of people murdered in the preceding five months.

While 223 persons were killed in Nigeria during that time, 158 civilians were murdered by Boko Haram in Cameroon.

In Nigeria, the deadliest attack was in July when Boko Haram abducted an oil exploration team with staff of the state oil firm and the university of Maiduguri while they were travelling in a convoy.

Amnesty said at least 40 people were killed in that attack while three persons were kidnapped.

In Cameroon, the deadliest suicide bombing killed 16 people in Waza in July, Amnesty said.

So far, more than 25, 000 people have been killed in Nigeria by Boko Haram since 2009, while over 2.5 million people have been displaced there.

In Cameroon, thousands of people have been killed by Boko Haram since 2014 and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

At a press briefing in Washington DC last week, the U.S. State Department said it was taking Boko Haram seriously and would continue to partner with countries in the Lake Chad Basin to defeat terrorism in West Africa.

Share your views on this article

Cameroon Concord  is an online publication covering and reporting on  local and world news, sports, entertainment, politics, business, and religious news. Serving Cameroonians .

Newsletter

 

Get the latest news and information delivered directly to your inbox by subscribing to our news alerts.

ADVERTISE

X

Right Click

No right click

We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…